As per the notice given by the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), an umbrella body of nine unions in the sector, all banks will go on a nationwide strike tomorrow on August 22, 2017. This strike has been announced to protest to bring in reforms in the banking sector and other issues.
The bird’s eye view of the demands of the strike:
- This strike is also for the interest of the public
- Bank strike: 10 lakh employees to go on strike on 22nd August.
The following are the issues / demands:
- Do not privatise Public Sector Banks
- Stop plans of mergers and consolidation of Banks
- Do not write off corporate Non-Performing Assets (NPAs)
- Declare wilful Default of Bank loans as criminal offense
- Implement recommendations of Parliamentary Committee on recovery of NPAs
- Ensure accountability of Top Management/Executives for bad loans and put in place stringent measures to recover bad loans.
- Withdraw proposed FRDI Bill
- Abolish Banks Board Bureau
- Do not pass on the burden of corporate NPAs on bank customers by hiking charges
- Do not increase Service Charges in the name of GST
- Reimbursement of cost of demonetisation and other Government Schemes to Banks by the Government.
- Settle issues of Employees and Officers connected with demonetisation scheme.
- Immediately fill up posts of Employee/Officer Director(s) in Bank(s)
- Implement Compassionate Appointment Schemes in Banks as per Government guidelines.
- Removal of Gratuity Ceiling under Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972 & Total Exemption of Income Tax on Gratuity and Leave Encashment on retirement
- Pension related issues Improvements in Pension Scheme similar to RBI/Central Government including for past retirees – Extension of erstwhile Pension Scheme in banks in lieu of NPS – Follow-up of Record Note dated 25 May 2015
- Adequate Recruitment in all cadres.