As per 30 Nov 2016 records, there are 575 stores functioning all over in India. Chattisgarh tops the list with 108 stores, Kerala holds the second place with 100 stores. To find the location of the stores in your place, follow this link: Jan Aushashi Stores
Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers planned to open 3000 Jan Aushadhi stores by March 2017.
The normal working hours of Jan Aushadhi stores are 8 AM to 8 PM. Jan Aushadhi Mobile vans are also encouraged by Government of India to cater services to rural areas and to the consumer’s doorstep.
Opening Jan Aushadhi Medical Store
Government is encouraging Individuals, NGOs, Cooperative, Government bodies etc., to run Jan Aushadhi Medical Store, there are specific requirements listed below which needs to be fulfilled,
- Applicant need to own or hire a space (with proper lease agreement if hired) with the minimum space approved by BPPI (i.e) 120 sq.ft
- Applicant need to have a retail drug license and active TIN.
- Applicant themselves should be a pharmacist or they can employ a certified pharmacist, State council and license registration number should be furnished in the application form.
- To ensure the financial capacity to run the store, audited account statements for last 3 years (bank statements and sales return for last 3 years) or sanction letter from Bank for extending loan in case of individuals should be submitted.
To encourage opening and functioning of Jan Aushadhi store, government offers financial aids and incentives,
- Generally, store owner can get margin of 16% for the JAS medicines on the sale price built in MRP of each drug.
- Jan Aushadhi stores are eligible for one time financial assistance up to Rs. 2 lakhs as establishment cost and up to Rs. 50,000 for purchase of hardware, generally on re-imbursement basis supported by bills of actual purchases/establishment
- JAS operated by agency other than State government nominated agency, are eligible for incentive of 10% of monthly sales amount or Rs. 10,000 per month whichever is higher for the period of first 12 months. In case of stores opened in North Eastern States and other difficult areas like Naxal affected areas/ Tribal areas, incentive is up to 20% of monthly sales or Rs. 15,000 per month whichever is higher.
To a common man, surprising and encouraging information is high usage of generic medicines in USA. In 2014, according to an analysis by the Generic Pharmaceutical Association, generic drugs accounted for 88% of the 4.3 billion prescriptions filled in the United States. Also, Generic drug production is a large part of the pharmaceutical industry in China. When the usage of generic medicines increases, price of branded medicines will also reduce due to its competition with generic counterparts.